Elements of Literacy-Class Notes: 8/26/13
No Child Left Behind
1. Standardized Testing
2. School can only help so much…what happens at home is also essential to the child’s development and learning skills
3. Socioeconomics plays a huge role
- Literacy depends on time periods
- Reference to WWII
- 3 metaphors: Literacy as: Adaptation, Power, and State of Grace
- Adaptation: changes over lifetime, societal requirement, survival, changes in communication [email-formal, Facebook-personal, Twitter-get to the point] —> memo, diary, & texting
*Get left behind or left out*
- Power: Social power, status: literate vs. illiterate, grammar is also socially situated
- He went to the store.
- He is always going to the store.
- He be going to the store.
-saving face = damage control/you want to keep a certain image of yourself at certain times. We are always trying to construct how we want to be seen.
-All grammar is a set of rules, recognized by a certain group of people.
- State of Grace: Being literate makes you a more ethical person and more humane.